On March 31, 1871, Gov. Henry P. Baldwin signed legislation to build a new state capitol building and a building for the temporary use of the state officers. Exactly $1.2 million was set aside for the building. The facility was paid for through a 16 7/8 cent-per-year tax on Michigan residents for six years. The ultimate cost, including furniture, fittings and improvement of the grounds, was $1,427,743.
Construction began in 1872 and was completed Sept. 23, 1878. It’s still the Capitol building Michigan uses today.
The Michigan Senate web page
Stefani Chudnow, “The Lion of Lansing: A Brief History of Michigan’s Capitol Building“, Awesome Mitten Blog, March 28, 2017.