On Oct. 22, 1927, Michigan Stadium (The Big House) in Ann Arbor was dedicated as Michigan defeated the Ohio State Buckeyes 21-0 before a capacity crowd of 84,401.
General admission tickets sold for three dollars. The 11,114 student-ticket purchasers had to pay a 50-cent surcharge on the normal $2.50 price for this and the other “big games” of the year. The box seats in the lower rows went for four and five dollars. More than 17,000 tickets were sold at Ohio State.
Nearly 1,000 Boy Scouts, from all over Michigan, plus a few from Toledo, Cleveland and Columbus, were on hand to usher the ticket holders to their seats. A crowd of nearly 85,000 was on hand as the dedication ceremonies got under way at 2 p.m.
As a football spectacle, of course, the day wholly surpassed anything in Michigan history. As the Michigan Alumnus writer noted, “Ann Arbor flung open its gates to a horde of visitors nearly triple the size of its own population – and the new stadium swallowed them by two o-clock in the afternoon.”
The dedication ceremony itself was simple. Michigan Governor Fred W. Green and his Ohio counterpart Vince Donahey, and Presidents C.C. Little of Michigan and George W. Rightmire of Ohio, led the massed bands of the two universities onto the field from the east tunnel. The bands paraded to the flag pole where the national ensign was raised and the vast throng stood bareheaded during the playing of the “Star Spangled Banner” and “The Yellow and Blue.” The Detroit Free Press carried a particularly colorful account of the ceremonies.
With the formalities completed, the Stadium was turned over to the use for which it was built.