On February 1, 1942, 300 mothers met in the Durant Hotel in Flint, Michigan to form the Blue Star Mothers of America, a patriotic service organization of women who had loved ones serving overseas.
On February 6, the organization was mentioned in the Congressional Record.
Chapters then quickly formed throughout the country.
During World War II, Blue Star Mothers worked in hospitals and train stations, put together care packages for soldiers, and contributed to homeland security efforts in their communities. In June 1960, the organization was chartered by Congress. And it still exists today.
Michigan History, July/August 2011.