On June 14, 1976, Flag Day, the downtown Hudson’s department store retired their 2nd version of the world’s largest flag. The original flag was first hung on Armistice Day in 1923, displayed on each ensuing year’s patriotic holidays, & was later shown off @ the World?s Fair in 1939. At 3,700 sq. ft., the stars were a half-foot tall, & 1 mile of rope was needed to hang it. This flag was last seen in 1949 & replaced a year later w/a new 7-story flag that required 55 men to hang. After the 2nd flag came down for the last time, it was donated to the Smithsonian Institution.
Source : Detroit Historical Society Facebook page
For related books, see
Hudson’s : Detroit’s legendary department store / Michael Hauser and Marianne Weldon. Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub., c2004.
Remembering Hudson’s : the grande dame of Detroit retailing / Michael Hauser and Marianne Weldon. Charleston, S.C. : Arcadia Pub, c2010
20th century retailing in downtown Detroit / Michael Hauser and Marianne Weldon. Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub., c2008.