On Aug. 24, 1998, the Michigan State Fair unveiled a refurbished gigantic stove that represented Detroit’s claim to fame before automobiles came around. Detroit, formerly, was known as the stove capital of the world.
In 1893’s World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Detroit was represented with a stove that weighed 15 tons and stood 25 feet tall. After its display at the Manufacturers and Liberal Arts Building at the fair, the stove was broken down and reassembled next to the Michigan Stove factory at Adair and East Jefferson in Detroit.
The giant stove was moved up Jefferson Avenue just west of the Belle Isle Bridge in the 1920s. It was moved to the Michigan State Fairground in 1965, where it was put in storage in 1974 because it was rotting. In 1998, the state fair raised money to restore the stove and the refurbished one was unveiled on this date 14 years ago.
On August 11, 2011 the stove was struck by lightening and set afire. The remains were moved to the Detroit Historical Archives warehouse.
Source : Michigan Every Day
For another article, see “Detroit: Stove capital of the world”, Farm Dairy, August 30, 2001.
Detroit: Stove Capital of the World, MSU Campus Archaeology Program CAPBlog, August 1, 2013.
Bill Loomis, “When stoves were the hot new thing”, Detroit News, January 25, 2015.
The End of the World’s Largest Stove, WDET, August 16, 2016.