Pierre Francois de Riguad, Marquis de Vaudreuil-Cavagnal, the last governor of New France, finally capitulated to the English in Montreal on Sept. 8, 1760. The move ended most of the active fighting in the French and Indian War in North America.
Since news was slow reaching the frontier, Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit remained in French hands until November 29, 1760, when Rogers Rangers appeared in force. Fort Michilimackinac and other forts would be turned over later as news of the new world order was received.
The war in North America officially ended with the signing of the Treaty of Paris on 10 February 1763.
Source : Amber Hunt, This Week in Michigan History, Detroit Free Press, September 7, 2008, B.4.