The 1807 Treaty of Detroit ceded the olive-colored area in southeast Michigan. The treaty also ceded the dark yellow area north of the Maumee River in northwest Ohio.
The Treaty of Detroit was a treaty between the United States and the Ottawa, Chippewa, Wyandot and Potawatomi Native American nations. The treaty was signed at Detroit, Michigan on November 17, 1807, with William Hull, governor of the Michigan Territory and superintendent of Indian affairs the sole representative of the U.S.
With this treaty, the First Nations ceded claim to a large portion of land in what is now Southeast Michigan and northwest Ohio. The boundary definition in the treaty began with the “mouth of the Miami river of the lakes” or what is now known as the Maumee River at Toledo, Ohio. From there the boundary ran up the middle of the river to the mouth of the Auglaize River at what is now Defiance, Ohio, then due north until it intersected a parallel of latitude at the outlet of Lake Huron into the St. Clair River.
For more information, see Treaty of Detroit Wikipedia entry
Treaty of Detroit info from Central Michigan University Clarke Historical Library.
Why is a rock out in Lake Huron noted on this 1837 map of Michigan’s Native Americans? Because it was a landmark in the 1807 Treat of Detroit. https://tinyurl.com/Treaty-of-Detroit …
The White Rock of Lake Huron.
Map image courtesy of the MSU Maps Library.