A Board of Regents was established by state act for the University of Michigan on this day in 1837.
Two days later in 1837, the Legislature adopted an act locating the school in Ann Arbor. As an inducement to move the university to Ann Arbor, an offer of 40 acres of land was made to the Legislature by Elijah Morgan and his partners in the Ann Arbor Land Company.
For more University of Michigan history, visit “University Timeline” by the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan.
For another see Dan Austin, “The day Detroit lost U-M to Ann Arbor”, Detroit Free Press, March 18, 2015.
Note : Early painting depicting the University of Michigan campus around 1855.