On March 4, 1847, Lt. Governor William L. Greenly replaced Governor Alpheus Felch as Michigan Governor, who resigned to take a seat in the U.S. Senate. Born in New York, Greenly moved to Adrian, Michigan, in late 1836. Greenly was elected lt. governor in 1845. After completing Felch’s term, Greenly returned to Adrian where he served as mayor and justice of the peace. He died in 1883.
About two weeks into his term, Greenly signed into law legislation to move the state capital from Detroit into “the township of Lansing, in the county of Ingham.” Legislators feared that Detroit was too close to the border and feared it would be at the mercy of enemy gun in case of way.
Michigan is Amazing
Stewards of the State The Governors of Michigan. George Weeks ; edited by Robert D. Kirk ; contributing authors: Paula L. Blanchard, Don Weeks. [Detroit, Mich.] : The Detroit News ; Ann Arbor, Mich. : Historical Society of Michigan, 1987. Basement Center Oversize Collection JK5851 .W443 1987