The Harbor Beach Lighthouse, sixty miles north of the mouth of the St. Clair River, was built and placed into service in 1885 to mark the entrance to the largest man-made freshwater harbor in the world. The harbor provided safe refuge from storms for thousands of ships from its completion in 1885 until larger ships and newer technology reduced its usefulness in the 20th century.
The Harbor Beach Lighthouse Preservation Society will celebrate the 130th birthday of the lighthouse with several events on July 18 of 2015.
For the full article, see Ben Solis, “Harbor Beach Lighthouse marks entrance to largest man-made freshwater harbor in world”, MLive, June 21, 2015.
Click here for more information about the Harbor Beach Lighthouse history.