The first classes at Michigan Mining School were held on Sept. 15, 1886, in the Houghton Fire Hall. The school started with four faculty members and twenty-three students.
The school, which was created to train engineers, later changed its name to the Michigan College of Mines, then Michigan College of Mining and Technology, and finally Michigan Technological University.
It currently serves about 7000 students.
Postscript: At one time Michigan Tech had a branch in Sault Ste. Marie, now called Lake Superior State University.
For the full article, see “Classes begin at forerunner of Michigan Tech”, Detroit Free Press, September 11, 2011.