On June 1, 1910, Horace and John Dodge broke ground on a car parts factory in Hamtramck.
Dodge Main remade Hamtramck from a small town to a city of nearly 50,000. Most of its residents were Polish immigrants. In fact, the workday language in Dodge Main during World War II was Polish. Dodge Main grew to 33 buildings and five million square feet, with 40,000 workers. Dodge Main was deemed obsolete and closed down in 1980.
Source: Michigan History magazine
For more information, see Dodge Hamtramck Plant (Dodge Main)