The Women’s Hospital Association raised funds for a new hospital in Lansing. Thanks to Edward Sparrow, enough money was put together to open a new facility on East Michigan Avenue on this day in 1912.
Sparrow Hospital was actually founded in 1896, when the Women’s Hospital Association supported one doctor and one nurse out of a rented house.
In 1910, Lansing developer Edward W. Sparrow donated land on East Michigan Avenue near the Michigan State Capitol and $100,000 to help build the hospital. The hospital opened in 1912.
Early Lansing Hospitals, Lansing State Journal, October 5, 2014.