1916 : Muskegon’s Marsh Field Hosts First Baseball Game

When:
May 4, 2021 all-day
2021-05-04T00:00:00-04:00
2021-05-05T00:00:00-04:00

 

Marsh Field has been home to Muskegon Baseball for nearly 100 years. Charles W. Marsh purchased four square blocks of property in the center of town at the corner of Peck Street and Laketon Avenue in February of 1916.

The architect firm of Harry Boyle & Company of Evansville, Indiana was given the contract to design the modern era baseball facility. Charles W. Marsh contracted Nelson & Mayson to build the grandstand and so was the beginning of baseball at Marsh Field. The park would not only provide a fully equipped grandstand and baseball field, but part of the property would serve as a combination children’s playground and picnic area.

On May 4, 1916 the Muskegon Reds played the first game at Marsh Field against the Terre Haute Highlanders. Since that time, many baseball teams have called Marsh Field home. Teams like the Reds, the Clowns, the Clippers, the Lassies, the Zephyrs and the Muskegon high school Big Reds. Prep summer teams like Durham Chiropractic and the Muskegon ChannelCats have also enjoyed playing at this old diamond.

In 2010, a group of citizens led by Len Piasecki and Pete Gawkowski took over the operation of the field from the City of Muskegon, and developed the Lakeshore Baseball Club. This public-private partnership has garnered positive media attention and praise throughout the community.

Marsh Field photo of Marsh Field
Marsh Field began its tenure as the principal home of Muskegon baseball when it was completed in 1916. Charles W. Marsh ~~ a Muskegon civic leader, industrialist, and sports enthusiast ~~ spearheaded construction of the park, which he donated to the city in 1919. The first minor league team to play here, the Reds, was a member of the Central League. Muskegon teams were later part of the Michigan State and Michigan – Ontario Leagues. The Muskegon Lassies of the All American Girls Professional League played here from 1946 to 1950. The last professional league played here in 1951. The location of the diamond has not changed since the park opened, and it has been the site of high school games and local amateur baseball programs ever since. The original grandstand was razed in 1957.
Source: Marsh Field website. Still available thanks to the Internet Archives.

Leave a Reply