On this day a group of Detroit businessment purchased the Victoria, British Columbia, Cougars and moved the ice hockey team to Detroit. First known as the Detroit Cougars and then the Detroit Falcons, the team was renamed the Detroit Red Wings after they were purchased by James Norris in 1932. The team actually played in Windsor until the Olympia Stadium was completed in Detroit in 1927.
Chicago millionaire James Norris bought the Falcons and on October 5, 1932 renamed the team Red Wings, adding a winged tire logo to emphacize the Motor City connection. He got the idea from a hockey team he used to play for, the Montreal Winged Wheelers, which won the first Stanley Cup in 1893.
Michigan Every Day.
Note : Picture depicts Original Logo of the Detroit Red Wings 1932/33 – 1933/34.
Zlati Meyer, Pro Hockey Arrives in Detroit, September 22, 2013.
James Norris Sr, Esso Legends of Hockey.