On March 3, 1931, Congress authorized the creation of Isle Royale National Park.
The Chippewa called the island Minong or a “good high place”. By the twentieth century it had passed into the hands of private owners when state and federal funds were used to purchased the island as a national park. Due to World War II, the park was not dedicated until August 1947.
Zlati Meyer, This Week in Michigan History : First steps for Isle Royale National Park, Detroit Free Press, March 2, 2014.