City officials deliberated for more than two years, but finally on June 16, 1941, metered parking went into effect in Lansing’s downtown area.
Initially 742 automatic meters were installed on the city’s streets as a trial. Motorists were required between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. to deposit a nickel for an hour parking or a penny for 12 minutes of parking. Following the trial, the final decision to keep the meters was approved by voters at the November election.
The State Journal, June 15, 1941. Compiled by Timothy Bowman.
Also posted on Lansing 150 – A Day in History, November 6, 2009.