The first daily — Volume 1, No. 1, dated Sept. 26, 1942 — includes as a cutline: “With the goal of keeping its student body better informed on both world and college events, The Michigan State News entered the field of daily newspapers this morning with a 16-page edition.
The campus on the bank of the Red Cedar River has had a student newspaper since the days of the Michigan Agricultural College. In 1909, The Holcad — named for an ancient sailing ship — began weekly publication of a tabloid student newspaper. The paper became the Michigan State News in 1925, when the college became Michigan State College.
Source : “A History of The State News”, State News Alumni Association.