Add to Calendar
May 16, 2023 all-day
On May 16, 1956, the General Motors Technical Center was dedicated in Warren. Costing around $100 million–or about half a billion in today’s dollars–to develop and staffed by around 4,000 scientists, engineers, designers and other personnel, the GM Tech Center was one of the largest industrial research centers in the world. Designed by Finnish-born architect Eero Saarinen, it was his first independent project, and it would bring him immediate acclaim. Construction took place between 1949 and 1955. The scale & visual beauty of the center invited comparisons to a 20th-century version of the royal complex at Versailles, France.
Source : Detroit Historical Society Facebook page