It’s been more than a century since the original Lansing Brewing Company closed in 1914 due to local prohibition.
One of the first breweries in Michigan’s Capitol city, the Lansing Brewing Company supplied craft beer to artisans, laborers and tradesmen as they built our city over a century ago. Opened a year after Ransom E. Olds’ historic automobile ride down a city street in 1897, the Lansing Brewing Company welcomed its first customers.
The brewery’s impressive architecture graced the early Lansing skyline. The full-production brewery was located near the heart of the city so the beer could be delivered fresh and quickly to local watering holes.
The brewery quickly made a name for itself with its Amber Cream Ale, the local beer of choice for everyone from laborers to statesmen. The beer’s popularity continued until the pressure of the local dry crusaders, temperance movement and generally un-fun people proved too much to overcome. Eventually, the momentum toward Prohibition lead to the closing of Lansing Brewing Company in 1914.
The recipe for Amber Crème Ale was lost for more than 100 years, and it’s a rare style in the Midwest. When head brewer Sawyer Stevens attempted to resurrect the dead recipe, he had to play around with it.
“It was really cool to recreate,” Stevens said. “It’s got a subtle caramel malt to it. It’s a beer that goes down easy.”
All told, Stevens and the brewing staff made 12 beers for the opening, filling 580 kegs.
The new reincarnation is located at 518 E. Shiawassee St.
For the full article, see Alexander Alusheff, “Lansing Brewing Company opens to beer-thirsty crowd”, Lansing State Journal, October 23, 2015.